September 27, 2017
I cannot tell you how excited I am that registration opens up for Craftcation ’18 next week. If you’re a maker, blogger or creative business owner then join me for four inspiring days that you’ll never forget. Craftcation has over 100 hands-on workshops and business classes, so whether you’re coming to craft, grow your business or a little bit of both, there’s lots of making, meeting and learning in store for you.
Here are five things I learned over my two Craftcations — and one I’m hoping to learn next year.
1. Makers are the best humans. Everyone I’ve met at Craftcation is lovely and kind and welcoming, and the community lasts beyond the conference.
2. How to use a serger — and the difference between a serger and a standard sewing machine! It seems like such a little thing, but it’s been a big influencer in my creative work.
3. How to sew knits without a serger, and that I shouldn’t be intimidated by soft, stretchy, delicious fabric!
4. That self-care is real, even in the midst of four days of awesome. Whether that means taking the time for that early-morning yoga class (yes, really!) or planning an excursion to the nearest Starbucks, I have the best time if I’m well-rested.
5. Pad your budget a little, so as to have the extra scratch for a treat at the pop-up shop, or for indulging in beautiful fabrics at Superbuzzy! (You know, to put your new skills to use on.)
This coming year, one thing I’m hoping to learn is how to get unstuck after a long hiatus. I’m not sure whether I’ll learn that from an actual class, or just from talking to some of the rad humans I’ll meet, but I am sure I’ll come away with some new ideas.
Craftcation takes place April 4-8, 2018, in the beach town of Ventura, California, (about an hour north of Los Angeles). Craftcation utilizes Ventura’s historic downtown buildings and businesses as well as the beach for special events like networking meet & greets, cocktail socials, a pop-up shop, opening celebration, yoga, as well as food and art tours.
Registration opens 10.5.17 and the first 50 people to register get $50 off!