so I broke six drill bits.
June 27, 2013
Good thing they were cheap?
I saw this neat thing on Pinterest the other day:
And I thought, hey, that looks like fun. I like to cross-stitch. Let’s try it. So I found a simple pattern, about 6 stitches by 6 stitches, printed it out and off to the studio I went. I figured I could use the printout to help me punch and drill my grid on the metal.
Wisely, I started with copper — it’s the cheapest metal to experiment on and I generally don’t mind if I ruin whatever I’m trying.
(Here is where I learned that manual disc punches blow. A lot. I learned instead how to use a giant gravity-assisted thing that lives in the studio, which makes punching disc after disc much, much faster. Above, I’m punching little silver discs out for earrings.)
So, I put my little grid down on a copper disc and punched all my little pilot divots (so that the drill bit doesn’t skip around on the metal) and loaded a tiny drill bit in the flex shaft. It drilled three holes, got dull, and broke. Four drill bits later I got frustrated and went nosing around the studio to see if I could find another tool to use.
Enter the drill press.
When I try this again — and I will — I will use only the drill press. It’s much more precise than the flex shaft and removes the human-unsteadiness factor.
So really, I only got as far as that busted disc at the top of the post. There are two little pieces of steel drill bit stuck in it. The grid is all over the map. It will look like absolute crap if I try to stitch it. But I have two backup discs and a whole mess of drill bits, so sometime soon I will try again.